Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Tres Leches, por favor...

I'm totally spent today. I worked way too late last night and ended up eating at the only place that I could find that was open near my hotel: Chili's. Their baby back ribs are not nearly as delicious as the commercial would have you believe.

I'm not going to write a whole lot today, but I did feel the need to report on the much improved dining experience I had tonight. Fearing a repeat of last night's subpar eats, I opted out of the dinner at El Torito with all of the attendees in the training class that I am teaching. I guess I could've eaten there, but I could not take the chance of having to discuss work related stuff after hours. I need some time to unwind. These guys have a knack for coming up with an obscure question that I can't answer and that just might ruin my meal. They've had all day to do that. Actually, it wouldn't be THAT hard to stump me at this point. I'm no expert on this stuff. Check back with me in a few months.

Tonight, I drove about 20 miles to La Mesa so that I could dine at Habana, a restaurant rated best Cuban Restaurant by San Diego Newspapers. This is not really as exciting a feat as it sounds, since there probably aren't 3 such places in this town. This place wasn't bad though. I started out with a mojito, and then moved on to a cucumber salad and some alitas fritas (non battered fried chicken wings). My main course was a cuban take on shrimp creole over white rice or camarones salteados (sauteed shrimp). The pecan crusted yams (papa dulce roja) was a nice complement and got me warmed up for the biggest piece of tres leches cake you've ever seen. I'm a happy camper this evening.

No comments: