Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Slacker

I'm sitting here today all out of sorts, being anything but productive. I have yet to do a single, solitary push-up today, nor have I been to the gym. I did eat though. I ate quite a bit too. Perhaps that was the problem. I've got no edge to me anymore. I'm fat and happy right now. A lion with a full stomach can't hunt. He just sits around in a shady spot, occasionally swatting at a fly with his tail, but mostly just sleeps.

I had a professor by the name of O'Flynn in college that subscribed to this theory as well. In a very pronounced Irish accent he would hark back to what sounded like a very miserable Catholic boarding school education and explain how the best way to ensure that your studying is productive is to sit near, but with your back to, the window so that the cold wind can make you shiver while you're sitting in an uncomfortable, splintering, wooden chair that has one leg shorter than the rest. Of course, all of us in this upper division Numerical Analysis thought that he was a raving lunatic, but a very entertaining nonetheless.

For the last 45 minutes, I've clicked on the send/receive button for my email inbox thinking that I will coax it into sending me some correspondence with somebody. Anybody. I've re-read old emails just to make sure that there were no action items for me hidden amongst the verbosity. I looked at the Open-Table.com website for new restaurants in San Francisco. I read reviews for random restaurants, exercising no particular preference for whether it was a French, Cuban, Mexican, Italian or otherwise. I adjusted the volume and ringtone settings on my cell phone. Twice.

I'm just sitting here looking around the room. I'm looking out the window.The rain is easing up finally and I see the sun peeking through the clouds. Maybe I should go to the gym. I've got something to return to Best Buy. There are dishes that I could be doing. There is laundry that I could fold. There's still that movie that I need to watch, although my conscience won't allow me to do it during work hours. Well, maybe. Nah...not today. I'm still plugged in at this job.

I went to the gym. I started out slowly, feeling a bit sluggish and un-inspired but somehow managed to get in a few sets of ab and chest work. Once done there I high-tailed it back down to the locker room so that I could change and hit the swimming pool. I upped the ante today and did an extra four laps.

At last...I have accomplished something. It was uncanny, but when I got back to my desk, I was energized. I responded to emails. I folded the clothes. Life seemed a little more organized all of a sudden. I might do something meaningful today after all.

1 comment:

Belladormiendo said...

"Slacker" is such a strong word...