Sunday, January 20, 2008

Spoiled? Blessed!

Standing at the back of the church, clapping my hands and stomping my feet, it occurred to me how spoiled rotten we are at my church each Sunday. The young adult choir was belting out one of the songs that they do really well (and I mean REALLY well!) and I was feeling it. Not usually terribly demonstrative, I couldn’t help but outwardly enjoy as their angelic voices rang out in verse,

Can’t stop, praisin’ His name,
I just, can’t stop, praisin’ His name,
Can’t stop praisin’ His name,
Call it out!

They were doin’ it, this morning. Our music department was jammin’ right along with them too. Vernon Hall strummed the bass, Michael Hill tickled the ivories and our sax man Kevin Jones was divinely inspired. You might remember Kevin from my “First Thursday” post a couple weeks ago (assuming that somebody reads this stuff. I don’t just do this for my health, you know. Oh, wait…actually I do), when Pastor Smith sent him back out of the church to fetch his saxophone so that we could all be blessed by his musical gift. Blessed! Now there’s the word. We are truly blessed to be treated to such outstanding music every Sunday.

“They oughta record this one,” I leaned over and said to the person next to me.

It is such a blessing indeed and I’m thankful each time I hear them, although it would be easy to take their gift for granted. Having visited a few other churches lately has driven home this point even more. I don’t want to get off on a rant and talk bad about the singing abilities at some of the other churches because that’s not what I’m here to do and besides, that wouldn’t be very nice. The Lord has called each and every person to glorify Him, and praise His name. Perhaps my mortal ears just can't hear the sweet music that comes from everyone's mouth the way the Lord can.