Thursday, January 10, 2008

Coltrane Speaks


How did he do it? And so consistently? He speaks to me
through the soprano saxophone with such emotion...with
such passion. Gone for almost 40 years and its as if I
can feel the pain, the struggle, hear the voice and
its just as poignant now as then. The world was truly
blessed when John Coltrane's lips touched the reed and
began to play.

Many times music is just background noise. Some of it,
by virtue of its soft tones and melodies is soothing.
Some, lyrically potent, is even thought provoking. But
the truly exceptional, the extraordinary, can touch
your soul all the way through the transceiver, across
the airwaves, from the instrument of the artist,
no...ar-TISTE! From their soul to yours. No words
necessary. The notes say it all...and then some.
I was sitting here toiling through the monotony when
Coltrane's Wise One came on. It demanded my attention.
It spoke of hardship and pain, perseverance and
struggle. It cried out for respect. It stopped me in
my tracks. It was as if I had been confronted by an
old wise one and had to pause, to tip my cap and
acknowledge his presence. Then, just as suddenly as he
came, he was gone. But I remembered.

Sports fans will recall that Isiah Thomas "made the
ball talk". Hip-hoppers know that Terminator X only
"speaks with his hands". The old "wise ones" know
that John Coltrane made that alto, tenor, or soprano
saxophone cry out. Sometimes his notes rang out with
all of the Rage in Harlem. Sometimes in a silent way.
Sometimes softly, as in a morning sunrise. But always
profound. Always provocative. Always passionate.

No comments: