Thursday, February 21, 2008

'Twas but another portal into the jasmine of my mind...

I paused, and then sighed while lamenting about the sun going down as the clouds were finally lifting outside my window beyond the backdrop of the tall buildings along Jefferson street. Many a time and oft, I've but gazed upon this same expanse of structures and longed to scamper along at street level, like a tumbleweed on to the exercise oasis that is Club One. Alas, 'tis not a sprint but a marathon and indeed there will be many a day beyond this one to gallop on thy fair treadmills and ably lift thine weights.

"Silence!" she bellows. Silence, when it is after such diatribes that seem to meander this way and that without a semblance of beginning nor end, that she will covet, desire, yearn for in ways that harken the yearnings of birds for the sky, deserts for rain, for that void, that nothingness that is so complete when I've finished my ruminations. She'd never admit as much, but she enjoys them just the same, she of the earth tones and long flowing lines.

She is the beautiful unification of abstract and finite mathematics, one contour flowing along without interruption until another, like daylight at the end of a long tunnel, another line just as awe inspiring as the first curves out into the free space, occupying it with a grace and a finality so extraordinary that it leaves one hard pressed to imagine any previous image leaving such a sweet imprint on the retina. The light of day beams from her eyes like diamonds, giving way to the jet black that frames the vision as night falls, and then it is all about her.

Keeper of dreams and patron of rejuvenation and relaxation and imagination, she beckons me to shut it down, to wrap it up. I plead with her for more time, saying that I'm not finished. There's so much more to do, so much more to say. She cautions me against resisting her and living to regret it as before long, a new day will break and she'll be gone. She'll be gone and I'll be ill equipped to face the newness of this day, not having indulged and suddenly lonely and yearning, wishing she'd return to inspire me evermore. I can feel her breath now upon my neck. My chest heaving against the flesh of her evening. Try as I might to resist, I'm no match for her seduction and sweet scent as she whipsers nothin's in my ear. Hush. Silence.

Don't you just love falling asleep? What did you think I was talking about?