Sunday, August 24, 2008

Simply Beautiful

I always laugh when I find myself sitting here at my laptop on a wonderfully spectacular Bay Area day like today. This is one of those "this is why we live here" type days where the sky is a perfect shade of powder blue, the breezes are gentle, and the sun warm and comforting, while not at all overbearing. I challenge you to find a more amiable 74 degree day anywhere in the World, especially since we simply do not do humidity in these parts. Any normal person would be out enjoying this weather. Does that make me abnormal? No, I'm just enjoying a rare moment of free time. With the type of weather that we so routinely get in these parts, I've got such a luxury. Really I do.

I'm reminded of my time in Washington, D.C. as a college student always eager to be in the happening spot, enjoying myself. That is, of course, when I wasn't studying or at basketball practice. The great thing about D.C. was that the party-of-the-year happened about 5 or 6 nights per week. There was always something going on. Sometimes I'd be studying and although my roommates and/or teammates would try their best to get me to go to a certain spot on a Tuesday night, I could take a raincheck with the knowledge that even though they'd probably see dozens of the Chocolate City's finest co-eds, I would see an equally impressive assortment of beauties the next time that I was able to got out. It was as close to a virtual certainty as one 20-year old could expect. That's how I feel about our weather here. However, if there's an event that I'm missing that is accompanying this fabulous weather, it will surely be gone with the wind, never to return. Such is life in the Bay Area. People would kill for our weather, but if you've ever experienced other "faster" cities in this country, it's not surprising that you could get a little bored here. It's not that bad, though. Really! It's just a little different.

But once again, I digress. I'm still in my room, looking out the window at the Sun causing the buildings of Downtown Oakland to cast ever lengthening shadows upon one another. But I'm writing, so I'm not bothered by this. It's only 5pm, so there's plenty of daylight left, and I haven't had a spare moment to just "flow" in what seems like weeks. Lately, it seems like I'm sacrificing sleep, being pressed for time, or battling with Olympic telecasts that have kept me captivated and just pre-occupied enough to send my creative juices flowing down a river whose shore I cannot seem to find. It's been a veritable Kalahari Desert for me here lately. Perhaps this beautiful day spent indoors, with the instruments of high-tech haters of the outdoors, is that elusive oasis that I finally caught up with. Whatever it is, I'm at peace with it. Life is good. With any luck, I'll even do the impossible and get to bed early tonight. Now that would really be something. I'm fairly confident that my trip to Idaho will help me out in the sleep department. That is if I don't get carried away writing late into the night. Just color me the personification of a catch 22.

No comments: