Thursday, August 28, 2008

Leader

Tonight I saw the future. Surrounded by some 20 friends and colleagues and crowded around a plasma television, I witnessed the coming out party of the man likely to lead the free world into a paradigm shift. Extolling the opportunity for change and new ideas, Mr. Barack Obama stood at the podium before 85,000 people at Invesco Field in Denver, Colorado and graciously accepted the Democratic nomination for the Presidency of the United States of America. Some 38 million others all across America watched on television, and who know how many others tuned in around the world. It was truly history in the making.

Pledging reforms and ushering in an attitude of hope and empowerment he was both eloquent and forthright in his 46 minute speech. In my lifetime of 36 years, I cannot recall being so moved and filled with pride over anything not remotely personal. But maybe it was personal after all as Mr. Obama has become the personification of a dream previously thought to be so far beyond the wildest of all dreams of all that look like me.

At times during his oration, the room was stone silent, while in other instances, some were moved to tears, loud applause, or even jumping out of their chairs to stomp their feet and shout "YEAH!" It was eerily similar to a stirring sermon in which it feels like the preacher is speaking directly to you and your troubles. So proud was I that we were gathered for such a momentous occasion when we often congregate for reasons that hold far less importance like the Superbowl or the finale of a television series. It's as if politics has suddenly become exciting, if not important. Perhaps there is hope for us to be led out of the darkness of apathy and into the enlightenment and responsibility that motivation and action bring forth. At long last, there is a candidate to believe in. I feel as though integrity matters again. I feel as though things that concern me as an African-American man with two young African-American children also concern this African-American man with his own two young African-American children. I feel like he can relate to the world the way that I relate to the world, not as a victim, but as an intellectual citizen of the World, demanding to be reckoned with and respected instead of dismissed and discounted.

My prayers will continue to go out to him and his family, as am sure the prayers of millions of others will as well. I cannot deny being secretly a little nervous for him as he approached the podium and as he channeled great leaders from generations past, all the while speaking with a message for the future. I was encourage, however, and drew strength from his obvious strength as he and his family are surely aware of the evil surrounding them, hoping to be right there to aid in or facilitate his demise. I breathed a sigh of relief when Barack was able to complete his speech and retire safely offstage with his family. I know that he is cloaked in the protective arms of the Lord himself.

No comments: