Sunday, May 11, 2008

Playfakers

It's amazing how lazy one person can be. I've been sitting in this same spot on the couch for the last 2 hours. I stood up briefly to look in the refrigerator but that was a very quick exercise. Not a lot to look at in there. I'm not even really sure I'm hungry anyway. I had Cuban food this afternoon and that has a way of sittin' on you for awhile. I watched the end of the Spurs/Hornets game and then Kenny, Chuck, and Ernie for the re-cap. When they went off, I was reading emails so I didn't bother reaching for the remote control. They started playing some movie with Tony Soprano and Robert Redford about some military prison. It looked mildly interesting, but I had never heard of it, so it probably wasn't going to be Earth shattering.

I flipped through the channels. I no longer have Comcast, so I can't turn to the channel guide and see what's on. Well, I can sometimes, on 67 (or is it 68?) but I think that's only when the Sun is up. Otherwise it shows some Vietnamese programming or something. I think something like The Simpsons or Family Guy would've sufficed, but I didn't see those. I did stumble upon something though. It wasn't Earth shattering, but it was jaw-dropping. It was something called The Game.

It was some line where this little guy who was apparently supposed to be a sports agent from the Bob Sugar/Drew Rosenhaus mold said something like "it's all about the ho's we knows...," or something like that. That made me stop and check to see if somehow I was still getting HBO. Nope...this was regular free television. I guess this channel is called the CW. I think it used to be the WB. Why'd they get rid of the frog? The frog was a classic. I wonder if they still do the "pet of the day" thing during commercial breaks. That is this channel, isn't it? Or do I have that confused with UPN? I don't know.

This show seemed to be a cross between the critically acclaimed Playmakers from ESPN and maybe Scrubs and/or Love American Style for the old school set. Suffice it to say that this show took every stereotype of the athlete world to an extreme. Couple that with some bad acting by Wendy Raquel Robinson (not like she set the world on fire on the Steve Harvey Show, but she was better than this), Rick Fox (i know, i know...this is the second time in a couple of month that Rick's thespian chops have been called out in one of my entries, but...), and Tia Lowry of Sister Sister fame (well, she was on her usual level).

I gave this show about 10 minutes. Once I got over the sheer surprise about what I was actually seeing on the TV, I could only stand so much of this nonsense. Maybe I'm getting old and can't appreciate a new comedy sensation like this. More likely this is just a poor show that happens to reside on the CW (and not a real network) for a reason.

No comments: