Friday, May 2, 2008

Joke's on me...

You ever have those days that just don't turn out how you thought they would when you first set your feet on the floor in the morning? That was today. I woke up just before 6am, with no alarm clock. I wanted to go to the gym first because I know how the day can get away. I also wanted to get some writing down because I had a deadline that was fast approaching. Then I had to go to the office for the second day in a row.

I took a minute or two to get my bearings. Trying to sort things out while still lying on my back and staring at the ceiling after finishing my morning prayer of thanks is never my most effective way of developing a plan. With sleep still tugging at me, and my mind not yet firing on all cylinders, I often drift from this to that and back over there and in and out of whatever. Sensing this, I sat up and grabbed a bus schedule to figure out just when I might be able to get to work if I went to the gym right now. I floundered around with that for a few minutes too long. I dropped to the floor and knocked out some push-ups. At least I had accomplished something today now. I finally managed to dress myself, gather my things and head out the door. I worked out, grabbed something from Jamba Juice and headed to the train. Since I narrowly missed the 759am train and caught the 814am, I arrived in Union City just after the last Dumbarton Express took off. Defeated, but only for a moment, I recalled that the M also goes my direction and makes me walk only about 1 extra block so I jumped on that at 910am. There was no wi-fi on this express bus so I couldn't do any work. However, this did give me the chance to start the writing that I had been meaning to do. Ideally, I would've awakened at 430 or 5am and been bright eyed and bushy-tailed and, more importantly, creative. Since that didn't happen I made do with what did. I got to work to discover that my project carried over from yesterday was not without a few bugs so I spent the next few hours getting the kinks out.

I told the guys to go ahead on to lunch without me so I could keep working. I figured I'd just run across the street and grab something in a little bit after I was done. I didn't expect them to make a big deal out of it either. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. At about 330pm, I discovered that my laptop power supply was missing from my desk. I had been using my laptop in the demo room and when I started running low on juice, I went back to re-charge. That's when the fun started. I did a thorough check of my workspace, both at my desk and back in the demo room. Then I started asking questions. I went to the usual suspects first. The poker faces were in full effect. Nobody had any answers. Clearly, my power supply had grown legs. I guess I should've asked everybody in the office, but I'm pretty sure that such tomfoolery usually has a single source in our office. I needed to send an email to a customer that notified me at 445pm that what I thought we had fixed for them was not quite working yet. While I was testing it on our set-up, my laptop died. I laughed. Sharing this with the guys did not cause my power supply to magically appear. These guys are good.

As fate would have it, these last two developments had me in limbo just long enough to miss the bus. I'd have to wait about 45 minutes for the next one. I spoke to my boss on the phone as I was waiting for the bus and shared the day's shenanigans with him after we had discussed the issues. He too fingered the same suspect. We laughed together. Oh well. At least I keep a spare at home. I'll give them credit for pulling a good prank.

No comments: