Saturday, May 31, 2008

Annie

The sun'll come out
Tomorrow
Bet your bottom dollar
That tomorrow
There'll be sun!

That's what I keep telling myself when I throw my legs over the side of the bed, stand up and walk to the window so I can throw the blinds open. Everyday, however, I've seen nothing but grey skies and even rain as I peer around the expanse of brick structures that comprise the view from my 5th floor room here at the Windsor House Hotel in el Barrio Chico, an upscale, urban residential neighborhood here in northeast Bogota, Colombia. It's not so bad though. It's not like I brought shorts and sandals out here or hadn't looked at weather.com prior to packing for this trip. The only thing I could have probably used was an umbrella, but I don't do umbrellas so no me importa.

I also have found myself singing this song as I leave the office each night after 12 long, frustrating hours with minimal progress having taken place. Unfortunately, THAT tomorrow has yet to show up either. Nothing like a little OJT (on the job training...keep up...) to make your learning curve do the ol' hockey stick thing. Sorry for making you think outside the box a little too much with the gratuitous use of tired corporate colloquiallisms. Perhaps I'm a little starved for some conversation in English. It's been a few days.

Today was probably the best of the workdays though. At least I didn't have to get up, eat, and be in a taxi by 615am like I have every other day this week. Today was Saturday and we did make a little smidgen of progress before leaving last night, so we decided to come in at 10am today. We got a little bit done, and anything I was stuck on, I was just going to have to stay stuck because my resources back in the corporate office were minimal since it was Saturday and no one was really feeling my pain from way over there. It's cool though. At least the really difficult stuff seems to be behind us. Now its just a matter of fine tuning and making this look like less of a science project and more like an actualy offering to the public that works in a very user-friendly and idiot proof sort of way.

Somehow, lunch was delayed until about 5pm when we finally got back to the hotel, but I guess we just got caught up in the work, after having a relatively late breakfast. The very hip Osaki japanese restaurant in my now favorite Parque de la 93 would get the nod for what would turn out to be more of a pre-dinner than anything. I'm all for any place that not only has that view, but also has a mixture of Thai, Japanese, and Chinese food (done well, i might add) on the menu all while playing the type of cool house/trip-hop music that you hear in swanky clothing stores.

So, today, being the tomorrow that I was lamenting about yesterday, turned out not to be so bad after all, and it's still early. We'll be hitting la zona rosa later on to hang out and eat dinner for real. I'm really diggin' this town.

No comments: