Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Grows on Trees

Another day, another bill to pay. Just when I was thinking that I may be nearing the surface in the perpetual fight to keep my head above water, the undertow grabbed hold of my ankles and yanked me back down. The glow of the sun grew more and more faint and the lighter water at the top began to fade to darkness as I descended to the depths once again, arms extended overhead, motionless, defeated.

Just as the Softball season took its turn for the home stretch of playoffs and closing day ceremonies, I got the reminder that it was time to sign the kids up for soccer. Oh, by the way, childcare expenses are way past due, and need I remind you that gas is even $4/gallon in the 'hood? Everyone wants their money right now, and none of them are concerned about my ability to give it to them. I pay off one creditor and the other one comes calling. I fix one thing and something else breaks. Its a never ending cycle. I feel like a modern day Sisiphys, pushing my rock up this mountain of debt, only to realize that my efforts are an exercise in futility as the rock always manages to roll back down the hill before I can get it to stay up top.

Sisiphys...I like that. Six-figure share cropper is another one of my favorites. Sleepy sales engineer whose eyelids are growing heavy and who needs to get to sleep before I start to look my age.

No comments: