Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Feelin' Real Good!

Its another good day to be Destah on this fine 25th day in December of the year 2007. I not only had enough energy to get through the day's myriad of activities, I enjoyed them tremendously. It's definitely time for me to go to sleep, so says my contented countenance, and lethargic movements that would make any python proud. I sampled just about all of the veritable cornucopia of items on both the food and dessert tables this evening, and am struggling to tell you about it now. If this were a handwritten entry, I might be dragging the pen down the side of the page or scribbling by now.

You gotta love Christmas. What a glorious day it was today! Sure, it was a crisp mid-50s morning in the Bay Area, but it eventually got up in the mid 60s, and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. When I were a kid, this would be the kind of day that would find me out riding my new bicycle or throwing around my new football or something.

Driving around was a snap as only a very few vehicles graced the roadways. I smiled as I drove past a shopping center with its empty parking lot, recalling the chaos that occurred there just 18 hours earlier. I made it over to see my kids at about 1030am, holding out a small glimmer of hope that they might just be getting up (NOT) or that they might have possibly waited to open my gifts until I arrived. Yeah, right! They were already bouncing off the walls and playing with their new stack of toys when I arrived, barely looking up to say hi and give me a quick, oh by the way type, "thanks for the Fatheads, Dad". I didn't mind. They were in hog heaven. They made out like bandits. Oh to be 8 years old again.

We made 2 more stops and they continued to amass more and more goodies. I had such a good time just shooting the breeze with various family members from all over the place. Somebody asked me if I had received everything that I wanted for Christmas. That question always throws me, as I don't ever really expect or want too much these days. My gift was to be able to hang out with the family and to be in such a good mood about it. It sure felt good to laugh, joke, and delight in the very international cuisine that we had (korean bulgogi with egg noodles, tamales, dressing, turkey, ham, pineapple coconut cake...). Jesus is indeed the reason for the season. Goodnight all you happy people. It's sleepy time.

No comments: