Wednesday, October 24, 2007

10/24/07: Aaaaaaaaaaaaah Yeah...all da ladies go get your towels...

Remember the slow jam tape? No, seriously. Don’t act like you haven't any recollection of what I’m talking about. I heard an old song today that must’ve been on one of my particularly famous editions and it made me think of how ridiculous some of my college antics were. Of course none of it was ridiculous at the time. I thought I was the coolest cat around, and the selections that made the final cut of my rendezvous soundtracks surely reflected that.

In fact, I think they evolved as I evolved. Some of my earliest efforts contained the old standbys of the time. Keith Sweat whined and cried through many of my early efforts at foraging for sustenance. Johnny Gill and Bobby Brown dropped the smooth vocals that filled in the blanks when I fell short, which was often. When I only had a shy smile to offer, Troop told tales of walking to school each day and waiting for her to pass my way. As I started to graduate from young lion to more experienced hunter, the complexity of my musical selections became more evident as well, or so I thought. I went for the classics, sometimes letting Lenny Williams do the begging or Teddy convince somebody as to why they ought to come on and go with me. I was always good for keeping some Prince in the rotation too, just for atmosphere because although the décor of my apartment or dorm room my have belied the fact that I was a man of exquisite taste, the dim light along with his lyrics might create the illusion that the futon was really a 100% Italian leather sofa, draped in Egyptian lace.

Any hunter or fisherman will tell you that you’re only as good as your tools though. If you’re in search of quail, heavy artillery might not be the right approach. If you’ve got the wrong bait, you won’t catch anything that day. So I kept a few selections from 12 Play available or H-Town or maybe that a capella joint from Shai, lest I eliminate anyone my age from being lured in.

My roommates and I would have competitions with the tapes, hyping our latest offerings like we had just come out of the studio after producing Songs in the Key of Life or Kind of Blue, or Thriller or something like that. “Yo…you let me know if you want to borrow this one…its niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.” The most amusing aspects of this whole undertaking were the rather ambitious assumptions that were made in this whole process. First of all, the notion that this “mood music” was the very lynch pin to a successful outing was ridiculous. Our naiveté probably prevented us from grasping the notion of a phenomenon like “girl-talk” and that what we thought in our circles was cementing our legend, was probably being discussed between hysterical laughter on a 3-way call. Furthermore, that the specific order of said musical selections was deemed so crucial to the war effort was downright laughable. Finally, and most importantly there would need to be occasion to unsheathe Excalibur. There was not always a surplus for us young lions of the Serengeti. Indeed there were many periods where famine swept across our homeland. The environment often ceased to be target rich. None of that was of any consequence though as you’ll recall from my 10/11/07 post that stated “if you stay ready, you ain’t got to get ready.” We STAYED ready.

Well, I’m proud to say that I no longer own any slow jam tapes. I’m over that. Really…I am! Awhile ago, I figured out that John Coltrane had already done this work for me 50 years ago when he and McCoy Tyner, Jimmy Garrison and Elvin Jones got together to bring us A Love Supreme. It didn’t require the 18 or 19 tracks that I might include. With 4 tracks, it was simple in construction but very rich in content, appropriately mellow in stretches and fiercely intense in others.

Again, I may be making too big an assumption here with this musical choice, but now I am older and wise enough to know that neither Coltrane’s nor any other’s melody is the foundation that is holding everything together, but more likely akin to a nice chandelier.

No comments: