Friday, September 19, 2008

Off and away again

Here I am in a hotel room in Santo Domingo and I couldn't be happier. I have no plans for the rest of the evening other than eating, I'm icing my knee, and I'm watching CNN en Espanol intently. This is the life. Oh sure, I plan to go outside at some point. I didn't fly all this way just to see the inside of a hotel room. However, I am significantly slowed by this wisp of a left knee that I'm trying to slowly nurse back to health. What better place to get well than in a tropical paradise?

This sure beats the four walls that I call my own on Jefferson Street. I never thought I would get tired of my condo, but I surely was after not having seen "outside" for more than a week. Visitors had even commented on how pale I was. I was going stir crazy in there. I think the worst thing was the realization that not even my bed was a grand oasis anymore. Since I have been in such pain and so medicated, I haven't even been sleeping well. It was time to go somewhere. ANYWHERE!

Santo Domingo had been in the plans for a few months and it never occurred to me that I might not be going, unless there were a hurricane blowing through here or something. Boy did I luck out in that regard. All of the bad storms came through here in succession in the last 2 weeks, but this weeks forecast is crystal clear, save for a few scattered thunderstorms. I've always liked those anyway.

So, I'll be in search of some nice local cuisine tonight and my big plan for tomorrow is to sit by the pool with ice bags on my knee.

No comments: