Thursday, April 9, 2009

Raining on my parade

Today was one of those days that started with the best of intentions, but ended badly. Very attainable to-do list in hand, I jumped in the ride with the comforter from my bed, the claim check for the dry cleaners and an optimistic attitude. Trying to do as little back-tracking as possible, I decided to head to the dry cleaners first. This would be the most challenging of the tasks (or so I thought) since parking on Piedmont Avenue is rarely a very readily available. If ever an area of town could benefit from a subway stop, this would be it.

The parking space directly in front of the dry cleaning store was not a mirage, but perhaps I should have looked upon it skeptically and not so wholeheartedly let my guard down so soon. "Wow," I thought, "my errands are going to be a piece of cake today. No stress at all. Smooth sailing."

I chopped it up with the store's owner for a minute(I can't remember his name right now, but that's okay because he usually mixes me up with some guy named Young and we always get a good laugh about that) and then I got in the car for task number 2.

Having previously checked the availability of a couple books online, I knew which library would have what I needed and headed that way. The Dimond Branch even surprised me as it too have an abundance of parking spaces in its lot. Wait! No!
Images of a posted notice that I had seen somewhere flashed through my mind's eye. Was I imagining this? Had I actually seen this? Was I having a de ja vu moment? Was the library closed on April 9th and 10th as the sign read in my head? (I would later discover that the aforementioned notice had been written across the top of the Oakland Public Library site that my laptop was still open too when I returned to my desk). "If it were closed, there wouldn't be any cars here," I reasoned. I proceeded toward the entrance with guarded optimism.
no call back
no change
parking ticket

No comments: