Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Seizing the opportunity


I got inspired today by a blog reader. I don't know why that I'm finding that so noteworthy today, or why it hasn't happened before, but it made me write immediately so I'm not complaining. I was reading the comments that I got back from some readers on the metaphorically laden Sexually Frustrated piece that I wrote and one of the readers suggested that I had a sequel in the works.

Actually, I did not, but one came to mind awfully quickly. I had momentarily forgotten that people don't always "get" me and my novice writing may not adequately voice what I think I'm trying to convey. The piece made perfect sense to me, but apparently some of the other folks had allowed themselves to get swept up in the provocative metaphor and failed to catch the subtlety of what I was describing. Again, it must've been my fault. I just must not be a good enough writer to make it plain for everybody yet. I had a little fun with the sequel though, drawing on the inspiration that made me enjoy writing way back when (perhaps I'll have to try to re-create my maiden voyage in one of these posts) and endeavoring to play professor in an amusing sort of way. Well, I think I amused myself at least.

It was kind of neat to try and dissect my own writing as if it were a famous literary text or a mysterious biblical verse. I actually pictured myself standing at the head of the class and challenging the class like Denzel's Professor Melvin Tolson from the Great Debaters. I was pacing, I was double underlining words with a piece of chalk, and I made it plain for the masses. Yes, I'm aware that masses is severely overstating things.

No comments: