Tuesday, December 2, 2008

And the beat goes on...

"Man! Those red lights are coming up in my rearview mirror FAST!" I thought to myself as I strolled down the MacArthur Freeway on my way to work this morning. "There must be a situation that they have to get to in a hurry...I'd better get out of their way."

But they weren't heading to a situation. They were, however, in hot pursuit of somebody. Unfortunately, that somebody was me. It was actually kind of comical how I put my blinker on and got out of the fast lane to let them pass. Imagine what they thought of my audacity. How presumptuous I must've looked.

"Hey, wait, why are they getting behind me? I'll let them pass again...."

"Oh...no...wait. They are pulling me over."

Only sail powered water crafts that dare venture into the seas around the equator ever have the wind taken from said sails as fast as it was taken from mine today. I haven't felt so defeated since those fast breaking dynamos from Judge Memorial High School in Utah ran us out of a South Tahoe gymnasium one summer day back in 1988. "I can't believe they are pulling me over."

Believe it, big boy. You can't run from the long arm of the law. Well, you can run, but you can't hide. I never even saw those cats. I was thinking of all of the lame excuses that usually come to mind.

"I was going with the flow of traffic."

"I only sped up so that I could change lanes..."

"I have a meeting to get to at work..."

"I'm late to pick up my kids..."

"I was trying to get out of the way of the car that rolled up on me so fast in my rear view..."

I tried to look on the bright side. "At least it's broad daylight, specially in this remote, tucked away spot where I'm being forced to pull over. At least I'm dressed like I have a job and am going to it. (My usual get-up of sweats/hat/sneakers might very well have got me profiled)." It's not like any of these things would do anything to help my situation, but at least they gave me some level of comfort. I really did think that I went to sleep and woke up and that yesterday's early morning misfortunes were ancient history. I guess not. Clearly, this saga shall continue for another day. I hope it stops there.

No comments: