Saturday, July 12, 2008

Is 30 hours even enough?

Yes, we're back on this again. I'm pretty sure that I wrote about this before and I'm pretty sure that it won't be the last time. There just aren't enough hours in a day. Not only do I have my own agenda, but my kids have a list of things that they'd like to do as well. Well, okay, I thought I'd try to sneak that one past you. I don't really have an agenda. Me making plans is like a black restaurant not being out of something like chicken when you order it. Okay, let me try that again. I have an "idea" of some things that I'd like to do on a given day. Usually included in that very nebulous list are exercising and writing at some point. My children rarely have that many free activities (if any) on their list.

"Dad, can we go see a movie?"

"Dad, can we go to the batting cage?"

"Dad, can we go to San Jose to see Sammy and Tyler?"

"Dad, can we get a pizza from Zachary's?

"Dad, can...,"

Most sentences that start with "Dad, can...," or even just "Dad,...," are usually going to have me looking at my checking account balance. Well, not really. I'm pretty aware of the deficit condition that the United State of Destah operates under the majority of the time.

I solved the exercise question by including them in it. We not only walked to and partially around Lake Merritt and the Farmer's Market before walking back to my place, but we also walked to the park and played basketball later on. We shopped for groceries and I let them give some input so that it would seem like more of a fun activity, even if I vetoed about 99.7% of what they proposed. When we got home it was time to cook.

So here I am again at the end of the day wondering where all the time went. I'm at the crossroads right now trying to decide whether I'm going to really spend alot of time folding that laundry that is sitting in the basket, doing those dishes, ironing my church clothes, writing or sleeping. The writing looks like it's going to be kept to a minimum since I can't stand to wake up to a dirty kitchen and if I don't get some sleep I will be one miserable lad in the morning.

No comments: