Monday, June 9, 2008

y que mas?

I’ve talked about so many food and “hanging out” related aspects of my time in Bogota, Colombia but have deliberately left out some of the behind the scenes stuff that served to enrich the whole experience. Had I not, I may not have slept at all while I was there. There are only so many hours in a day, and if I may make like Wyclef Jean and pontificate about what I’d do if I were president, I’d start by advocating the 30-hour day. With 30 hours, I could still plan on 8-10 hours of sleep and cram all of the other things that I have to do into the other 20 odd hours. But enough on that. Back on Colombia.

Each day we had a hired driver named Juan Pineiro that took us to and from the office in a rather cozy Hyundai mini-van. A lifelong native of Bogota, Juanito was our unofficial tourguide/mobile concierge/ambassador for all things Colombiano. What sometimes seemed like detours to merely get out of the constant gridlock often ended up being slow strolls/guided tours through some of the lesser known parts of town along with the requisite insight that only a true Colombiano could provide. It was Juanito that showed us where the tallest skyscraper (colpatria) was and where the house of "El Mexicano" (allegedly a titan of the underground economy usually associated with Colombia) stood.

No comments: