Sunday, November 30, 2008

Ode to Keith


And Keith! Darn it Keith! Change your name please. Thats not scary and I'm embarrased to say that. Boris, try that! Keith, you know! Oh! WATCH OUT FOR KEITH!

Once again I spent the weekend watching cartoons and darn near splittin' a gut laughing at some of the pure comedic genius that these guys think up. The above clip is from Hoodwinked which is your basic Fletch meets Pixar meets Snatch and is a bonafide laugh-a-minute. From the banjo playing mountain goat to the extreme snowboarding granny, this one's a classic.

I also got a kick out of the latest animated offering in Disney/Pixar's BOLT. These guys always do a masterful job in keeping it just entertaining enough to bridge the gap between what I think is funny and what my kids think is funny. The streetwise pigeons had me almost falling out of my seat. Anytime I hear some Brooklyn-esque accents, I am quite amused.


As I mentioned a few weeks back, I've had a hard time kicking the habit that I picked up after my surgery (http://dailywithdestah.blogspot.com/2008/10/aint-no-sunshine.html). No, not drugs. I left those behind as soon as I could. But the cartoons and Adult Swim still have this strange allure to me. Some of them, correction, MOST of them are downright crude and really force you to push the limits as they toe that thin line between funny and just plain stupid, while usually grotesque as well. They're like a train wreck. I want to look away, but I can't. I want to turn the TV off and just go to sleep, but I know they're on and I don't have to be up early tomorrow, so...I'll just watch for a minute. The Boondocks is the only one that I don't feel like a total loser watching, especially since I am a fan of Aaron McGruder and his comic strip. Most of the others give me the sense that I needed to be high to really relate, and that undoubtedly its creator was indeed (and, more likely, constantly) high. The Boondocks is almost masterful in how it makes fun of the world from a young brotha's perspective. (DISCLAIMER: The N-bombs notwithstanding, this clip still underscores the point quite effectively). Check out Sam Jackson providing the voice of wigger extraordinaire, Gin Rummy.


Finally, keeping the nonsense going as I wind up the weekend and get ready to go to bed, I stumbled upon the Wil Ferrell Christmas classic, Elf, which , like Top Gun, The Wedding Singer, Malcolm X, and Jerry McGuire I will watch with or without commercial interruption each and every time they come on television. My kids love this one too.



Sorry, but I've got to give you two more clips of this one.



No comments: